: +61 2 4044 0450
Ashley is an Aboriginal Australian from the western-NSW community of Brewarrina, a descendent of the Gamilaroi people. Ashley has vast experience in community education and in program design, development and delivery for Indigenous peoples and communities. As a Specialist Aboriginal Consultant, Ashley has a long-term objective to be involved in the ongoing development and implementation of policies and programmes that improve the well-being of Aboriginal people.
Ashley has enjoyed a highly successful career as a professional National Rugby League (NRL) athlete, being the first contracted player to the Newcastle Knights as well as playing for the Penrith Panthers club and received the sports highest accolade, the Dally-M award in 1990. Following his retirement, Ashley gained a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and has remained connected to a range of welfare and Indigenous programmes across the country.
Aboriginal Gambling has been a long held passion for Ashley where he has delivered courses to more than 150 communities around Australia. He has provided cultural awareness training to a variety of services in NSW and Queensland. Ashley is an Aboriginal Gambling Researcher with Southern Cross University completing a variety of Aboriginal Specific research projects. He has also been appointed to the federal Ministerial Expert Advisory Group on Gambling as well as the Australian Gambling Research Centre. Currently, Ashley is the Managing Director of the NSW Aboriginal Safe Gambling Services, funded by the Responsible Gambling Fund, NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing, NSW Department of Justice.
In addition, Ashley is involved in a number of Aboriginal programs aimed at developing wellbeing, capability and performance of individuals, teams and organisations including:
- NSW Public Service Commission, Aboriginal Career and Leadership Development Program (ACLDP). This program has been delivered since 2014 in collaboration with NSW PSC and AGSM. Ashley’s role has focused on the design, review and development of culturally sensitive assessments, including 360 Degree Surveys. Coaching services and facilitation of workshop content to participants and their managers.
- Australian Public Service Commission (APSC), excELerate program. This program is similar to ACLDP, in its purpose and outcomes and is also co-delivered by OPRA and AGSM. Also, it was the success of ACLDP that led to the APSC to engage OPRA and AGSM to deliver the equivalent in 2019 and 2020. This program is aimed at executive-level Aboriginal staff from across the Commonwealth and is focused on cultural, leadership and career development of individuals. Ashley’s role in this program is to deliver executive coaching to participants and deliver workshop content, ranging from cultural awareness to public speaking.
- NSW Public Service Commission, Aboriginal Employment Development Program (AEDP). Ashley was the Aboriginal expert who reviewed the cultural appropriateness of this program, including assessment methodology and coaching sessions.
- NSW Department of Industry, working in collaboration with the Aboriginal Support Network (ASN) this high profile project involved the design and delivery of a NSW wide Aboriginal Engagement survey, including analysis and presentations regarding the findings and recommendations.
- National Rugby League (NRL). Psychometric assessment and coaching of athletes. Cultural awareness training for individuals and teams.
- Australian Football League (AFL). Coaching, mentoring and cultural awareness training for individuals and teams.
Beng Huan Tey
Jia Yin Yong
Zaheen Abdul Jalil